Principal's Note - April 29, 2018
Dear Holmes Families:
Good evening, everyone! Thank you to all of our staff and parents who chaperoned two successful days of 6th grade field trips to Washington, DC this past week! And congratulations to students from our Girls Running Club (pictured below) who participated in the Redskins Draft Day Dash yesterday! Thank you to Ms. Looney & Ms. Wiltshire for organizing it!
Please note one change to the SOL Testing schedule at the bottom of the newsletter. The 8th grade Reading SOL has been moved to Tuesday, May 8th instead of Thursday, May 10th.
It is finally starting to feel like Spring is actually here, and with that usually comes a little Spring Fever in middle school! We have been providing students with frequent reminders to stay focused, to continue to arrive to school and class on time, and to come to school dressed appropriately for the weather and for the school environment.
As stated in the Student Rights & Responsibilities:
"FCPS respects students’ right to express themselves in the way they dress. It is important, however, that their appearance is tasteful and appropriate for a K-12 school setting. Clothing and accessories should not:
• Display vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images
• Promote illegal or violent conduct
• Contain threats or gang symbols
• Promote the unlawful use of weapons, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or drug paraphernalia
• Expose cleavage, private parts, the midriff, or undergarments, and in the case of pants the waistband should not fall below the hips
• Contain studs
• Be see-through or sexually provocative
• Include caps or other head coverings unless required for religious or medical reasons."
Fundraising for 8th Grade Celebration
Thank you to all of our parents who are working hard to plan and raise funds for this year's 8th grade celebration on Friday, June 8th! Last weekend's Krispy Kreme donut fundraiser was a huge success! Our parents are also hosting two additional fundraisers to support the efforts:
- Pampered Chef fundraiser through May 7th. 25-30% of the order will be donated. https://pamperedchef.com/go/HMS8th
- Stay tuned for information about a Jamberry Nails fundraiser coming soon as well!
Voices of Now Performance - Arena Stage
We are very excited to see our Holmes actors perform at Arena Stage in DC on Thursday, May 17th! Get your free tickets HERE to come out and support our students as they share a performance that they created themselves!
More in our newsletter this week:
- Next Week's Schedule of Classes
- Next Week's After School Program Schedule
- Register your student for FCPS VIP Summer Camp!!
- FCPS, Northern Virginia Community College Offer Summer STEM Camps
- FCPS and Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services (DNCS) have teamed up to offer a 5 week camp for rising 7th and 8th graders
- Annandale Atoms 5K Run/WalkImportant Dates
- Annandale High School Summer Sports Camps
- TJ Prep Camp Summer 2018
- May/June SOL Schedule
- How To Stay In Touch
Thank you, and have a wonderful week!
Margaret Barnes, Principal
Next Week's Schedule of Classes: 4/30-5/4
Mon., 4/30 = Blue Day
Tues., 5/1=White Day w/ ER 1 & 2
Wed., 5/2 = Blue Day
Thurs., 5/3 = White Day w/ ER 3 & 4
Fri., 5/4 = Blue Day
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the website HERE.
After School Program (ASP) - Week of 4/30
For any questions you have about the After School Program, please contact German Cabezas at email@example.com.
FCPS, Northern Virginia Community College Offer Summer STEM Camps
Fairfax County Public Schools is partnering with Northern Virginia Community College to offer more than a dozen one-week STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) summer camps during the summer break.
Open to students currently enrolled in grades 3-12, these one-week camps emphasize hands-on learning, teamwork, critical thinking, and career awareness in a fun and engaging way. Topics include robotics, coding, forensics, cybersecurity, app design, aviation, and pre-health.
Camps will run June 18 through August 3 at the following locations: Edison High School, Marshall High School, Westfield High School, and Hughes Middle School. Discounts are available to parents who sign up their child for multiple camps or sign up multiple children. Additional information and registration is available online or by contacting STEM Outreach Coordinator Charles Britt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-425-5917.
FCPS and Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services (DNCS) have teamed up to offer a 5 week camp for rising 7th and 8th graders
\What is your middle school child doing this summer?
Like you, we believe your child is a Very Important Person and deserves a summer experience that is safe and full of fitness, friends, fun and enrichment. FCPS and Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services (DNCS) have teamed up to offer a 5 week camp for rising 7th and 8th graders.
Our camp will be a combination of students from the following middle schools: Glasgow, Holmes, Jackson, Kilmer, Poe, and Thoreau. Bus transportation will be provided from various pick-up locations which will be communicated in June prior to the start of camp.
There is a $50 registration fee. We will take weekly field trips and pricing information for that will be released after we have notified students of acceptance. Students who do not attend the field trips will not need to pay the field trip fees, but will need to stay home from camp that day as all of our staff will attend the trip. Students will also have the option of choosing which trips to attend.
The staff is led by your local After-School Specialists and trained DNCS staff. Campers will have a great time playing sports, games, doing arts and crafts and exploring concepts in science and technology.
Dates: July 2, 2018 - August 2, 2018 (campers are encouraged to attend all 5 weeks)
Location: Thoreau Middle School
Registration: Begins on Monday, March 19th, and will close on Friday, April 20th. You can expect to receive notice of acceptance or waitlist status soon after registration closes in late April. Registration fee payment information will be communicated at that time. Sign up by picking up a registration packet from Thoreau's main office or visiting this link: https://goo.gl/forms/lEikoWujZQ06I5eh2
Cost: $50 registration fee plus field trip fees (admission plus transportation cost)
With limited spaces available, it’s important to submit your registration as soon as possible.
Questions? Contact Shannon Campbell at SLCampbell@fcps.edu or 703-846-8089.
Annandale Atoms 5K Run/Walk
The Annandale HS Booster Club is hosting it's annual fundraiser to benefit and support scholarships for our student athletes. If you have questions, you should contact Terry Adams at Terry@annandalesports.org Phone: 703-615 0651.
Annandale High School Summer Sports Camps
- Wednesday, 5/2, 1:45 PM - Q3 Honor Roll Donut Party (Students Only)
- Thursday, 5/10 - Friday, 5/11 - Music Department Trip to Williamsburg
- Monday, 5/14, 6:30 PM - PTA Meeting
- Thursday, 5/17 - Capital One Coders App Fair
- Thursday, 5/17 - Voices of Now Performance, Arena Stage
- Tuesday, 5/22, 7:00 PM - Chorus & Orchestra Spring Concert (Annandale HS)
- Friday, 5/25 - Music Department trip to Six Flags America
- Friday, 5/25 - Last Day for Clubs
- Monday, 5/28 - Memorial Day Holiday - NO SCHOOL
- Wednesday, 5/30, 7:00 PM Band Concert (Gym)
- Thursday, 5/31, 7:00 PM - Advanced Theatre Showcase (Cafeteria)
- Tuesday, 6/5, 7:00 PM - Music Recital (Gym)
- Thursday, 6/7 - Last Day for Late Buses
- Friday, 6/8, 7:00-9:00 PM - 8th Grade Celebration (Cafeteria)
- Monday, 6/11, 8:00 AM - 6th Grade Awards Ceremony (Gym)
- Monday, 6/11, 6:30 PM - PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, 6/12, 8:00 AM - 7th Grade Awards Ceremony (Gym)
- Wednesday, 6/13, 8:00 AM - 8th Grade Awards Ceremony (Gym)
- Thursday, 6/14 - SCA Schoolwide Activity Day
- Friday, 6/15 - Last Day of School / 2-hour early release
May/June SOL Schedule
Interested in learning more about the SOL exams your child will take? Here are links from the Virginia Department of Education for:
- Civics (8th grade only)
- English (all grades)
- Math (all grades)
- Science (8th grade only, but covers content from 6th-8th grades)
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by: