New Student Registration

Para ver esta página en español, haga clic en el botón azul español en español que se encuentra arriba.

We're excited to welcome our newest Hawks!

New students fall into one of two registration categories:

  • Students who are new to Holmes Middle School and have not attended FCPS before.
  • Students who are new Holmes Middle School and who are currently enrolled in FCPS, but did not most recently attend either Bren Mar Park ES, Columbia ES, North Springfield ES, Parklawn ES, or Weyanoke ES.
    • If the student attended one of these five schools last year, there is nothing that needs to be done. The student records will be automatically transferred to Holmes MS! Please review the mandatory forms from our Student Services homepage.

To join Holmes Middle School, first determine if your student lives in our boundary by viewing the FCPS boundary locator

To Register at Holmes Middle School

  • Fill out the registration packet (The physical health form is not a requirement for middle school) 
  • Send all the documents by email to our Student Service Assistant, Wendy Y. Alfaro [email protected]

The following documents will need to be included: Your child's birth certificate, the registering parent's license, proof of residency, your child's previous transcript, and immunization recordsSee link for document guidelines.

Documents for proof of residency include a copy of your deed or lease. Please provide three supporting documents with your name and address on the papers if you are leasing. (example: phone bill, the electric bill, water bill, car insurance, car registration, rental insurance, etc.)

Please remember that all documents must be in physical form to complete the registration. Don't hesitate to contact Holmes Student Services to set up an appointment to bring the documents in for verification.

A meeting with the counselor will be scheduled after the registration process is complete. 

Are You Registering a Student Whose Home Language Is Other Than English?

Student families wishing to register a middle school student with a home language other than English should please contact the FCPS Student Registration Welcome Center. Here professionals may assess your student's English language skill and/or educational level. These assessments can provide valuable information to the local school and support your child's instructional needs.  

Do You Have Special Registration Situations? 

Special registration situations can include nonparent registrations, situations involving divorced or separated parents, homelessness, foster care, and foreign exchange students.

Military Family Registration 

FCPS welcomes responsive and collaborative communication and partnerships with the parents and families of our students.

Additional Information

Important Immunization Requirement:

Seventh grade students cannot begin school in August without documentation of the Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines.

7th Grade Immunization requirements:

  • One dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) given at age 7 or older.
  • One dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 10 or older.
  • Two doses of HPV (Human Papillomavirus) vaccine. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 7th grade. After reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parents or guardians’ sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine. FCPS does not require opt-out documentation for the HPV vaccine.

The following clinics provide immunizations to low-income families or those families with or without insurance:

Partnership for Healthier Kids  |  Health Works for Northern Virginia  |  Neighborhood Health