Principal's Note - Dec 1, 2019
Have you joined the Holmes MS PTA?
Your membership supports teacher appreciation and grants for teachers to provide unique programs for students! Join HERE today!
Good evening & Happy Sunday, Holmes Families!
I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you have made it back safely home if you traveled. It is hard to believe that it is December 1st, and we have just 3 weeks of school until our next break!
This month begins our focus on Mental Wellness & Resiliency for students. Come join us at our parent coffee this Wednesday morning, December 4th, at 9:00 am to hear from our counselors, school psychologist, and school social worker to learn more about how to support your student proactively with mental wellness, how to recognize concerns, and access local resources when needed. This week, I will also be back at the Bren Mar Park Elementary School Family market on Thursday evening from 4:30 to 5:30 and will share resources there if you aren't able to make the parent coffee.
Last but not least, a few performing arts announcements:
- Please join us this weekend for our musical production of Annie, Jr.! See the flyer below for details.
- Please note the change in the date for the Winter Band concert, which is moving from this Tuesday evening, December 3rd, to Thursday evening, December 19th.
HMS Theatre Presents: Annie, Jr.! - 12/5-12/7
In today's newsletter, scroll down for information about:
- FCPS CARES
- This Week's Schedule
- After-School Program
- Holmes MS Book Fair - 12/2 - 12/13
- HMS Theatre Presents: Annie, Jr.! - 12/5-12/7
- SCA Winter Dance - 12/18
- National Junior Honor Society “NJHS”
- 8th Grade Personal Yearbook Ads
- Important Dates
- 2019-20 Family Engagement Events
- How to Stay in Touch
Thanks, everyone, and have a wonderful week! Please feel free to reach out to me or anyone on my team with any questions you have!
Proud Principal, Holmes MS
Do you know a Holmes Middle School staff member who does ordinary things in an extraordinary way or goes beyond what is expected? If so, then click here to submit your story so we can all acknowledge the good work of Holmes faculty and staff members.
This Week's Schedule of Classes: 12/2-12/6
Mon., 12/2 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Tues.,12/3 = White Day (2nd, SOAR, ER 6, 4th, 6th)
Wed., 12/4 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Thurs.,12/5 = White Day (2nd, SOAR, ER 6, 4th, 6th)
Fri., 12/6 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the school website HERE.
After-School Program - Week of 12/2 - Schedule to be sent tomorrow
During the school year, a weekly schedule of activities that will be held during the After School Program will be posted.
- Late buses are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Students must be picked up by parents/guardians if they stay on Tuesdays or Fridays.
- NOTE: There are only 6 late buses, so students' late bus assignments and stops are usually different than their regular bus.
For any specific questions related to the After School Program or to share new ideas for after school activities, please feel free to contact Ms. Taylor, our After School Program Specialist.
Holmes MS Book Fair - 12/2 - 12/13
Save the Date! The Holmes MS book fair will begin on December 2nd! Students will have a chance to visit during the school day with their English classes and the book fair will be open for most of the evening performances through December 13th.
The book fair is a great opportunity to help support the library, every dollar spent helps the library earn funds to purchase more books. Support the library and knock out some of that holiday shopping!
All forms of payment are accepted. If you have questions or would like to volunteer please email Ms. Haywood.
SCA Winter Dance - 12/18
We are excited for our SCA Winter Dance coming up in December! This is another great opportunity for us to celebrate our students' positive behavior! Students who have demonstrated good attendance and behavior in November and December will be eligible to purchase tickets for this dance.
National Junior Honor Society “NJHS”
National Junior Honor Society “NJHS” is an organization of the world’s highest achieving middle level students... a distinction students have been proudly adding to their résumés since 1929. There is only one National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), and it provides an outstanding opportunity for students to grow with academically accomplished peers who are sharpening the habits needed for success in high school and beyond. Membership is determined based on scholarship, citizenship, character, leadership, and service.
Application is by invitation only. Holmes will receive a cumulative GPA report at the end of November. Students whose GPAs meet the minimum requirement, and who do not have a record of disciplinary infractions, will be invited to an information session during the school day on December 17, 2019.
The online application process for students includes:
- Cumulative GPA average over 3.5
- demonstrated leadership skills/activities
- 10+ verified community service hours (in x2Vol)
- a statement of intent/essay
- two teacher recommendations (one required from a core subject)
Students invited to attend the information session will receive an email invitation from the Principal letting them know. We will have a short presentation, and take a few minutes for Q&A. The timeline for applications will be discussed. We ask that students, not parents, complete the application.
8th Grade Personal Yearbook Ads
Introducing... 8th Grade Personal Ads
The yearbook staff wants to offer you the opportunity to honor your eighth grader as they move up to
high school. Surprise your student with a personal ad in the yearbook. These special messages can
be from parents, grandparents, siblings or even pets. You may purchase more than one ad; however,
please submit a separate form for each ad. Each ad will be the size shown below. Ads cost $15 each and is due Friday, February 28, 2020.
- Wed., 11/27 - Fri., 11/29 - Thanksgiving Day Holiday - NO SCHOOL
- Mon., 12/2 - Fri., 12/13 - Holmes MS Book Fair
- Wed., 12/4 - 9-10 am - Parent Coffee - Theme: Student Mental Wellness and Resiliency
- Thurs., 12/5, 4:30-5:30 pm - Principal Meet & Greet at Bren Mar Park Family Market
- Thurs., 12/5-Sat. 12/7, 7 pm - Holmes Theater Department presents Annie, Jr.!
- Thurs., 12/12, 7 pm - Winter Chorus Concert
- Tues., 12/17, 7 pm - Winter Orchestra Concert
- Wed., 12/18 - Afterschool - SCA Winter Dance
- Tues., 12/19, 7 pm - Winter Band Concert
- Mon., 12/23 - Fri., 1/3 - Winter Vacation - NO SCHOOL
2019-20 Family Engagement Events
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by: