Principal's Note - Dec. 15, 2019
Good afternoon and Happy Sunday, Holmes Families!
We are in the home stretch before Winter Break, and we have a busy week ahead of us! First, congratulations to our first team of Capital One Coders (pictured above) for the 2019-20 school year! This past Thursday night, these students presented the apps the created at the Capital One Headquarters in McLean and heard from a very special speaker, professional soccer player, Kelley O'Hara! We are excited for our next round of students to participate. Stay tuned for application information in January!
Thursday night was also our winter chorus concert...congratulations to our students on their performance! Thank you to all of our parents, students, and staff who also supported our library by making a purchase from the book fair!
Up this week:
- Our winter orchestra concert is this Tuesday, December 17th, at 7 pm.
- Wednesday, December 18th, is our WinterFest organized by our students in the SCA! Eligible students purchased tickets last week during lunches. Please note that there are no other after school activities on Wednesday
- The winter band concert is Thursday, December 19th, at 7 pm.
- On Friday, we'll be holding a winter music assembly for students and staff the last period of the day. 5th graders from Bren Mar Park, Columbia, North Springfield, Parklawn, and Weyanoke will be joining us!
- There will be no after school program on Friday, December 20th. All students will be dismissed at 2:15
National Junior Honor Society (NJHS)
Students who are eligible to apply for NJHS and their parents were emailed this past week. An information session will be held this Tuesday, 12/17, during ER-4. Applications are due January 8th. Scroll down later in the newsletter for more details about NJHS.
Winter Break Reminder
This is just a reminder that there is no school from December 23rd - January 3rd. Students will return to school on Monday, January 6th, 2020. There will be no parent update on December 22nd or 29th. The next parent update will be on Sunday, January 5th, 2020. Have a very happy holiday season!
In today's newsletter, scroll down for information about:
- Join the Holmes MS PTA!
- FCPS CARES
- This Week's Schedule
- After-School Program
- SCA Winter Dance - 12/18
- National Junior Honor Society
- FCPS Needs Substitutes!
- 8th Grade Personal Yearbook Ads
- Important Dates
- SAVE THE DATE: Curriculum Night - 1/16/20
- 2019-20 Family Engagement Events
- How to Stay in Touch
Thanks, everyone, and have a wonderful week! Please feel free to reach out to me or anyone on my team with any questions you have!
Proud Principal, Holmes MS
Have you joined the Holmes MS PTA?
Your membership supports teacher appreciation and grants for teachers to provide unique programs for students! Join HERE today!
Do you know a Holmes Middle School staff member who does ordinary things in an extraordinary way or goes beyond what is expected? If so, then click here to submit your story so we can all acknowledge the good work of Holmes faculty and staff members.
This Week's Schedule of Classes: 12/16-12/20
Mon., 12/16 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Tues.,12/17 = White Day (2nd, SOAR, ER 4, 4th, 6th)
Wed., 12/18 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Thurs.,12/19 = White Day (2nd, SOAR, ER 5, 4th, 6th)
Fri., 12/20 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the school website HERE.
After-School Program - Week of 12/16
During the school year, a weekly schedule of activities that will be held during the After School Program will be posted.
- Late buses are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Students must be picked up by parents/guardians if they stay on Tuesdays or Fridays.
- NOTE: There are only 6 late buses, so students' late bus assignments and stops are usually different than their regular bus.
For any specific questions related to the After School Program or to share new ideas for after school activities, please feel free to contact Ms. Taylor, our After School Program Specialist.
SCA Winter Dance - 12/18
We are excited for our SCA Winter Dance coming up in December! This is another great opportunity for us to celebrate our students' positive behavior! Students who have demonstrated good attendance and behavior in November and December will be eligible to purchase tickets for this dance.
National Junior Honor Society “NJHS”
National Junior Honor Society “NJHS” is an organization of the world’s highest achieving middle level students... a distinction students have been proudly adding to their résumés since 1929. There is only one National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), and it provides an outstanding opportunity for students to grow with academically accomplished peers who are sharpening the habits needed for success in high school and beyond. Membership is determined based on scholarship, citizenship, character, leadership, and service.
Application is by invitation only. Holmes will receive a cumulative GPA report at the end of November. Students whose GPAs meet the minimum requirement, and who do not have a record of disciplinary infractions, will be invited to an information session during the school day on December 17, 2019.
The online application process for students includes:
- Cumulative GPA average over 3.5
- demonstrated leadership skills/activities
- 10+ verified community service hours (in x2Vol)
- a statement of intent/essay
- two teacher recommendations (one required from a core subject)
Students invited to attend the information session will receive an email invitation from the Principal letting them know. We will have a short presentation, and take a few minutes for Q&A. The timeline for applications will be discussed. We ask that students, not parents, complete the application.
FCPS Needs Substitutes!
Click HERE for more information if you are interested.
8th Grade Personal Yearbook Ads
Introducing... 8th Grade Personal Ads
The yearbook staff wants to offer you the opportunity to honor your eighth grader as they move up to
high school. Surprise your student with a personal ad in the yearbook. These special messages can
be from parents, grandparents, siblings or even pets. You may purchase more than one ad; however,
please submit a separate form for each ad. Each ad will be the size shown below. Ads cost $15 each and is due Friday, February 28, 2020.
SAVE THE DATE: Curriculum Night - 1/16/20
- Tues., 12/17, 7 pm - Winter Orchestra Concert
- Wed., 12/18 - Afterschool - SCA Winter Dance
- Tues., 12/19, 7 pm - Winter Band Concert
- Mon., 12/23 - Fri., 1/3 - Winter Vacation - NO SCHOOL
- Thurs., 1/16, 5:30 pm - PTA (Topic: Planning for the Future with your Student)
- Thurs., 1/16, 6:30-8 pm - Curriculum Night (information to help rising 6th, 7th, & 8th grade parents support students with course selection for 2020-21 school year)
2019-20 Family Engagement Events
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by:
- keeping your contact information up-to-date throughout the year
- visiting the Holmes MS website
- signing up for News You Choose
- following us on Twitter
- monitoring your student's progress with SIS Parent Account
- join the Holmes MS PTA and attend meetings