Principal's Note - June 2, 2019
Good evening, Holmes Families!
What a great week at Holmes this past week! We finished our last set of our retakes on the SOLs. Mr. Perez and the students in Band performed a fabulous concert on Wednesday night, and our Theater and Art students put on an excellent showcase on Thursday and Friday nights! Congratulations on a successful year and thank you for all of your hard work!
Here's what's happening in the last 9 days of school...
8th Grade Laptop Collection Continues!
8th Grade Celebration - Friday, June 7th, 7-9 PM!
We are excited for this event to wish our 8th graders well as they move onto high school! Please contact Mrs. Moore at @email or send in the form provided to 8th grade students if you would like to volunteer that evening or help with the planning. We are still accepting permission slips and donations.
A few important notes about the celebration:
- Only current Holmes 8th graders are permitted to attend.
- Attending the celebration is a privilege. Students with serious disciplinary infractions or frequent tardiness this quarter will not be permitted to attend (parents/guardians will receive a call from Mrs. Moore if this is the case).
- 8th graders who have not turned in their laptops and/or chargers (or have not paid the fee to replace them) will not be permitted to attend. If you have a special circumstance, please contact Mrs. Moore.
- This is NOT a formal. While we encourage students to dress up for the occasion, we want to remind families that this is not a prom so we don't want students to feel like they need to rent tuxedos, limos, or other expensive items.
- Tuesday, 6/4, 7 pm - Music Department Recital
Locker Cleanout - Friday, 6/7
On Friday, 6/7, students will have the opportunity to clean out their lockers during ER-6. All items must be taken home at the end of that day. No locker usage will be permitted the week of Monday, 6/10. Big backpacks will not be needed; students will be permitted to have small string backpacks for any items they need to carry.
Awards Ceremonies - Tuesday, 6/11
All grade-level awards ceremonies will be held on Tuesday, June 11th, at the following times:
- 8th Grade - 8:00 am
- 7th Grade - 9:15 am
- 6th Grade - 1:00 pm
Each ceremony is expected to last about 30-45 minutes. All students in each grade level will attend the ceremony. The families of students receiving awards rece this week inviting them to attend.
Activity Day - Wednesday, 6/12
Activity Day is an fun, annual tradition planned by our students in SCA! We start out the morning watching a great movie with a great message. This year's movie is "Remember the Titans". If you'd like to know more about it, click HERE. (If you would prefer for your student not to watch the movie, please let the grade-level assistant principal know.) The day continues with students being divided into 4 groups and rotating through 4 different stations with activities outside, in the gym, in different hallways, and lunch. We'll end the day with a pep rally and a student/faculty basketball game. We would love to have the help of parent volunteers! If you are interested in helping out for all or part of that day, please contact Mr. Cho at @email.
NOTE: Participating in Activity Day is a privilege. Students with serious disciplinary infractions or frequent tardiness this quarter will not be permitted to participate and will be in an alternate location for the day. (Parents/guardians will receive a call from the grade-level assistant principal if this is the case).
Last Day of School - Thursday, 6/13
The last day of school will be a 7-period day so that students can say goodbye to all of their teachers. Students will be dismissed 3 hours early at 11:15 am. Lunches will be shortened to 20 minutes that day to accommodate the schedule.
In today's newsletter, scroll down for information about:
- FCPS CARES
- This Week's Schedule
- After School Program Survey
- All Medication in the Health Room Must Be Picked Up
- PTA Fundraiser Event - Friday, June 7th
- Annandale Atoms Girls Volleyball Clinics - June 17-21
- Important Dates (including SOL testing schedule)
- How to Stay in Touch
Thanks, everyone, and have a wonderful week!
Proud Principal, Holmes MS
Do you know a Holmes Middle School staff member who does ordinary things in an extraordinary way or goes beyond what is expected? If so, then click here to submit your story so we can all acknowledge the good work of Holmes faculty and staff members.
This Week's Schedule of Classes: 6/3 - 6/7
Mon., 6/3 = White Day (2nd, ER 1 & 2, 4th, 6th)
Tues., 6/4 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Wed., 6/5 = White Day (2nd, ER 3 & 4, 4th, 6th)
Thurs., 6/6 = Blue Day (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th)
Fri., 6/7 = White Day (2nd, ER 5 & 6 4th, 6th
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the website HERE.
After School Program Survey
For any specific questions related to the After School Program or to share new ideas for after school activities, please feel free to contact Ms. Taylor, our After School Program Specialist.
Below is a link for a quick survey about the Middle School After-School Program. The survey should take no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete. The survey is an important component of the after-school program evaluation and is critical for future funding. The more responses we receive, the more valuable and reliable the data. The responses not only allow us to assess the impact of the after-school program, but they help drive program improvement and program quality. This survey has been approved by the FCPS Internal Survey Review Committee. Seal Approval Number 19225.
Over 95% of our students participated in the after-school program this school year, with over 22,000 occurrences of students staying after-school. Thank you for your continued support of the Middle School After-School Program!
All survey responses are due by the last day of school, June 14.
All Medication in the Health Room Must Be Picked Up
The school health room is reminding parents and guardians that all medication stored in the health room must be picked up no later than the student dismissal time on the last day of school. Medication left in the health room after that time will be discarded. It is school policy that medications must be picked up by the parent or guardian. Medication cannot be sent home with your student. Medication authorization forms for next school year may be obtained from the school or online at https://www.fcps.edu/resources/student-safety-and-wellness/school-healt…. A medication authorization form is required for any medication, prescription or over-the-counter, to be kept at school. If you have any questions, please contact your school health room aide, Melissa Anderson at (703) 658-5910, or your school public health nurse, Jacklyne Kamara, RN at (703) 658-5910.
PTA Fundraiser Event - Friday, June 7th
Panda Express Old Keene Mill & Backlick
7040 Old Keene Mill Road
Springfield, VA 22150
Friday, June 7, 2019
11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
In-Store: Show paper digital version of the Fundraiser Event Flyer
Online: Enter 269658 in the promo code box during online checkout
20% of event sales will be donated to the Holmes Middle School PTA
Annandale Atoms Girls Volleyball Clinics - June 17-21
- Tues., 6/4, 7:00 pm - Music Department Recital
- Fri., 6/7, 7:00-9:00 pm - 8th Grade Celebration
- Fri., 6/7, 11:00 am - 9:00 pm - PTA Fundraiser Event - Panda Express
- Tue., 6/11, 8:00 am - 8th Grade Awards Ceremony
- Tue., 6/11, 9:15 am - 7th Grade Awards Ceremony
- Tue., 6/11, 1:00 pm - 6th Grade Awards Ceremony
- Wed., 6/12 - SCA Activity Day
- Thu., 6/13 - Last Day of School (7-period day; Students released 3 hours early)
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by:
- keeping your contact information up-to-date throughout the year
- visiting the Holmes MS website
- signing up for News You Choose
- following us on Twitter
- monitoring your student's progress with SIS Parent Account
- join the Holmes MS PTA and attend meetings