Principal's Note - Nov 18, 2018
Good morning, Holmes Families!
We have a short week of school ahead of us with just 2 days for students and staff on Monday and Tuesday! I hope that you all are able to enjoy your time away celebrating with family and friends.
We have so much to be thankful for at Holmes! I am incredibly grateful for my staff who amazes me every day...we have many unsung heroes in classrooms, in the office, in the cafeteria, driving buses, and many more duties who work tirelessly and far above and beyond the call of duty to support students every day. I am also so grateful for you, our families. You all know your students best, so we could not do our work with you and your support. Thank you for working in partnership with us to help our students succeed at high levels. Finally, I am so grateful to our students, who bring us joy and are the reason we get up every day to come to work. They make us proud, they make us laugh with their humor and youthful energy, and they inspire us when we see so many of them overcoming obstacles and persevering academically and emotionally. To say that I am a PROUDprincipal is an understatement! #HolmesHawksSoar
We look forward to seeing you all for our rescheduled Mini-Conference Night on Thursday evening, November 29th! Scroll down for the flyers and the descriptions of the Early Bird Sessions, which start at 5:00 that evening. Parking will be available in the school parking lot and the pool parking lot next door.
Holmes Theater Updates
Save the dates below for this year's winter musical, Elf Jr.!
- December 6 & 7 at 7pm
- December 8 at 2pm
Tickets go on sale Monday, 11/19:https://www.itickets.com/register/new/408329
Voice of Now auditions will be after school on Wednesday, December 12th. Interested students should sign up on the bulletin board in I-Hall.
In today's newsletter, scroll down for information about:
- FCPS CARES
- This Week's Schedule
- Calendar Reminder: Schools Closed November 21-23 for Thanksgiving Holiday
- After School Program Information and Schedule
- Parents: Be on the Lookout for Printed Report Cards; Grades Also Available Online
- Student Information System - SIS Parent Account Overview
- Lunch Bunch
- Signs of Suicide (SOS) Program
- Library Updates
- Digital Citizenship
- Edison HS Theater Presents Mamma Mia!
- Important Dates - Lots of dates for Quarter 2 added!
- How to Stay in Touch
Proud Principal, Holmes MS
Do you know a Holmes Middle School staff member who does ordinary things in an extraordinary way or goes beyond what is expected? If so, then click here to submit your story so we can all acknowledge the good work of Holmes faculty and staff members.
This Week's Schedule of Classes: 11/19-11/23
Mon., 11/19 = White Day w/ ER 7 & 8 (ER 8 Lesson: IB School-wide lesson)
Tues., 11/20 = Blue Day
Wed., 11/21 = No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
Thurs., 11/22 = No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
Fri., 11/23 = No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the website HERE.
Calendar Reminder: Schools Closed November 21-23 for Thanksgiving Holiday
As a reminder, schools will be closed November 21-23 for the Thanksgiving holiday. Please note that unlike past years, Wednesday, November 21, is a holiday. Classes will resume on Monday, November 26. See the complete 2018-19 school year calendar.
After School Program - Week of 11/19
For any specific questions related to the After School Program or to share new ideas for after school activities, please feel free to contact Mr. German Cabezas, our After School Program Specialist.
Note: All After School Program activities will be cancelled during Thanksgiving week. (November 19 - 23, 2018).
Parents: Be on the Lookout for Printed Report Cards; Grades Also Available Online
If you haven’t received your child’s printed report card yet, you should be receiving it very soon. Depending on the school, report cards are either sent home with students or mailed. Your child’s school will let you know which method is being used.
Please note: Progress reports for elementary school students and report cards for middle and high school students are also available online by using your Student Information System (SIS) Parent Account.
If you don’t already have a SIS Parent Account, information on how to register for one is available online.
Student Information System - SIS Parent Account Overview
Next Lunch Bunch is Friday, December 7th!
Students can sign up HERE!
Signs of Sucide (SOS) Program
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Program
Holmes Middle School Student Services along with Clinicians will be presenting the SOS program to 7th grade students through History classes during the week of December 10th. As you may know, anxiety and depression are all too common in our youth today. Educating them about the signs of depression, and on steps they can take for themselves and/or their friends to get help is critical to healthy development and overall wellness. The SOS Program includes both a video and a Wellness Screening. The psychoeducational video is child-sensitive, with language and images that are developmentally appropriate. The characters in the video portray what a child might go through when suffering from depression, how it differs from sadness, and how they know when to seek help. It also coaches students on when to seek help if a friend is exhibiting these behaviors using the acronym ACT (Acknowledge, Care, Tell). The Wellness Screening used for FCPS in a short survey in which students will check off “yes” or “no” to questions about themselves.
Parents/guardians will have two opportunities to view the “Time to ACT” video and ask questions about the wellness screening:
- Early bird session during Mini Conferences on November 29 @ 5PM
- Parent coffee on December 5 @ 8AM
If you have any questions about the screening, please feel free to contact your child’s counselor. If you do not wish for your child to participate in the SOS Program, please indicate this on the permission slip (which will be mailed home with report cards) and return it to Mrs. Girón, Director of Student Services no later than Wednesday, December 5, 2018.
Our library is actively recruiting parent volunteers. If you’re interested in signing up to help, the hours and time commitment are completely flexible. We can use help shelving books, straightening the books on the shelves and various small tasks. As little as an hour a week would be welcomed! If you are interested please sign up on the link below or if you have questions please contact our Librarian, Corina Haywood – firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 703-658-5938.
Sign up to volunteer HERE!
What is Digital Citizenship?
Digital Citizenship can be described as the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior (and its positive and negative impact on self and others) with regard to technology use.
Why Digital Citizenship?
It's important for parents to help their child become safe, ethical, responsible and respectful digital citizens. To do that, you’ll use the same successful parenting strategies you’re already using.
We are committed to providing you with resources to support family learning and conversations around digital citizenship topics but need your voice. Please fill out this questionnaire to let us know where we can support.
Edison Theater Company @ Thomas A. Edison High School presents Mamma Mia!
Nov 30-Dec 8
Nov 30, Dec 1 & Dec 6 and 7 at 7pm
Dec 1 and 8 at 2pm
$5 students & senior citizens
groups of 10+: order online for group discount and get reserved seating
Single tickets available at the door for each performance
Edison HS auditorium
Questions? email email@example.com
Edison Theater Company
Thomas A. Edison High School presenta Mamma Mia!
30 de noviembre—8 de diciembre
30 noviembre, 1 y 6—7 diciembre a 7 pm
1 & 8 diciembre 2 pm
$5 estudiantes & jubilados
Grupos de más de 10: ordenen en línea para descuento & asientos reservados
Entradas individuales disponible en la puerta para cada actuación
Edison H.S. Auditorio
Preguntas? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, 11/19 - Wednesday, 11/20 - All After School Program activities cancelled
- Wednesday, 11/21 - Friday, 11/23 - Thanksgiving Holiday - No School
- Thursday, 11/29 - Mini-Conference Night Rescheduled
- Wednesday, 12/5, 8 am - Parent Coffee (Topic: SOS Screening for 7th grade parents)
- Thursday, 12/6 & Friday, 12/7, 7 pm - Winter Musical: Elf Jr.
- Saturday, 12/8, 2 pm - Winter Musical: Elf Jr.
- Monday, 12/10-Tuesday, 12/18 - Scholastic Book Fair (Evening dates will be available for parents)
- Tuesday, 12/11, 6 pm - PTA Meeting (shortened due to Band concert)
- Tuesday, 12/11, 7 pm - Winter Band Concert
- Wednesday, 12/12, 5-9 pm - PTA Fundraiser Night, Flight Trampoline Park
- Thursday, 12/13 - Beginning Theater Field Trip
- Thursday, 12/13, 7 pm - Winter Chorus Concert
- Friday, 12/14 - Students Released Three Hours Early
- Tuesday, 12/18, 7 pm - Winter Orchestra Concert
- Wednesday, 12/19, 2:30-4:30 pm - SCA Winter Activity Day for Students
- Friday, 12/21, 7th Period - Annual Winter Assembly (Rising 6th Graders from feeder elementary schools invited)
- Monday, 12/24 - Friday, 1/4 - Winter Break - No School
- Thursday, 1/17, 5:30 pm - PTA Meeting (Rising 6th Grade Parents Invited)
- Thursday, 1/7, 6:30 pm - Curriculum Night for Parents (Information about choosing courses for students' schedules)
- Friday, 1/18 - Students Released Three Hours Early
- Monday, 1/21 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Holiday - No School
- Thursday, 1/24 - Last day of 2nd Quarter (No Early Release)
- Friday, 1/25 - Student Holiday / Teacher Workday
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by:
- keeping your contact information up-to-date throughout the year
- visiting the Holmes MS website
- signing up for News You Choose
- following us on Twitter
- monitoring your student's progress with SIS Parent Account
- join the Holmes MS PTA and attend meetings