Principal's Note - Nov 27, 2018
Good evening, Holmes Families!
A belated "Welcome Back!" after Thanksgiving! My apologies for just getting an update to you now for this week. I hope that you were able to enjoy a bit of quality time with family and friends and some down time for yourselves!
Friday, November 30th
Early in September, we alerted you to a threatening message found written on a school bathroom wall suggesting something could happen at the school on November 30th. Police were contacted, and a thorough investigation into the incident was conducted. We spent time with our students reinforcing the seriousness of this event and that threats written on school property or posted on social media are not jokes or pranks. Following this incident, FCPS Safety & Security personnel visited our school to assess our security practices, answer questions, and offer suggestions for improvements.
Student safety is our top priority and we continue to be diligent in our efforts to provide a safe school environment. The individual or individuals responsible for the bathroom graffiti were not identified. No other threats were received since the graffiti was reported. We have no reason to believe staff and students are at risk but, as a precaution, extra security will be present at the school on Friday. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
We look forward to seeing you all for our rescheduled Mini-Conference Night on Thursday evening, November 29th! Scroll down for the flyers and the descriptions of the Early Bird Sessions, which start at 5:00 that evening. Parking will be available in the school parking lot and the pool parking lot next door.
Holmes Theater Updates
Save the dates below for this year's winter musical, Elf Jr.!
- December 6 & 7 at 7pm
- December 8 at 2pm
Tickets go on sale Monday, 11/19:https://www.itickets.com/register/new/408329
Voice of Now auditions will be after school on Wednesday, December 12th. Interested students should sign up on the bulletin board in I-Hall.
In today's newsletter, scroll down for information about:
- Mini-Conference Night - Thursday, November 29th (Rescheduled from Thursday, November 15th)
- FCPS CARES
- Digital Citizenship - Parent Survey
- This Week's Schedule
- After School Program Information and Schedule
- Next Lunch Bunch: Friday, December 7th
- Signs of Suicide (SOS) Program (December 10th-14th)
- Winter Activity Day: Wednesday, December 19th
- G-love Winter Clothing Drive
- Student Information System - SIS Parent Account Overview
- Library Updates
- Edison HS Theater Presents Mamma Mia!
- Important Dates - Lots of dates for Quarter 2 added!
- How to Stay in Touch
Proud Principal, Holmes MS
Do you know a Holmes Middle School staff member who does ordinary things in an extraordinary way or goes beyond what is expected? If so, then click here to submit your story so we can all acknowledge the good work of Holmes faculty and staff members.
What is Digital Citizenship?
Digital Citizenship can be described as the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior (and its positive and negative impact on self and others) with regard to technology use.
Why Digital Citizenship?
It's important for parents to help their child become safe, ethical, responsible and respectful digital citizens. To do that, you’ll use the same successful parenting strategies you’re already using.
We are committed to providing you with resources to support family learning and conversations around digital citizenship topics but need your voice. Please fill out this questionnaire to let us know where we can support.
This Week's Schedule of Classes: 11/26-11/30
Mon., 11/26 = White Day w/ ER 1 & 2
Tues., 11/27 = Blue Day
Wed., 11/28 = White Day w/ ER 3 & 4
Thurs., 11/29 = Blue Day
Fri., 11/30 = White Day w/ ER 5 & 6
*NOTE: Students can always find the blue-white calendar in their agendas or on the website HERE.
After School Program - Week of 11/26
For any specific questions related to the After School Program or to share new ideas for after school activities, please feel free to contact Mr. German Cabezas, our After School Program Specialist.
Next Lunch Bunch is Friday, December 7th!
Students can sign up HERE!
Signs of Sucide (SOS) Program
Signs of Suicide (SOS) Program
Holmes Middle School Student Services along with Clinicians will be presenting the SOS program to 7th grade students through History classes during the week of December 10th. As you may know, anxiety and depression are all too common in our youth today. Educating them about the signs of depression, and on steps they can take for themselves and/or their friends to get help is critical to healthy development and overall wellness. The SOS Program includes both a video and a Wellness Screening. The psychoeducational video is child-sensitive, with language and images that are developmentally appropriate. The characters in the video portray what a child might go through when suffering from depression, how it differs from sadness, and how they know when to seek help. It also coaches students on when to seek help if a friend is exhibiting these behaviors using the acronym ACT (Acknowledge, Care, Tell). The Wellness Screening used for FCPS in a short survey in which students will check off “yes” or “no” to questions about themselves.
Parents/guardians will have two opportunities to view the “Time to ACT” video and ask questions about the wellness screening:
- Early bird session during Mini Conferences on November 29 @ 5PM
- Parent coffee on December 5 @ 8AM
If you have any questions about the screening, please feel free to contact your child’s counselor. If you do not wish for your child to participate in the SOS Program, please indicate this on the permission slip (which will be mailed home with report cards) and return it to Mrs. Girón, Director of Student Services no later than Wednesday, December 5, 2018.
SCA Winter Activity Day - Wednesday, Dec. 19th
We would love to have parent volunteers to support with this super-fun event for students! If you are able to support in some way, please contact Mr. Cho at email@example.com or Mrs. Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
G-love Winter Clothing Drive!
Student Information System - SIS Parent Account Overview
Our library is actively recruiting parent volunteers. If you’re interested in signing up to help, the hours and time commitment are completely flexible. We can use help shelving books, straightening the books on the shelves and various small tasks. As little as an hour a week would be welcomed! If you are interested please sign up on the link below or if you have questions please contact our Librarian, Corina Haywood – email@example.com or by phone 703-658-5938.
Sign up to volunteer HERE!
Edison Theater Company @ Thomas A. Edison High School presents Mamma Mia!
Nov 30-Dec 8
Nov 30, Dec 1 & Dec 6 and 7 at 7pm
Dec 1 and 8 at 2pm
$5 students & senior citizens
groups of 10+: order online for group discount and get reserved seating
Single tickets available at the door for each performance
Edison HS auditorium
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org
Edison Theater Company
Thomas A. Edison High School presenta Mamma Mia!
30 de noviembre—8 de diciembre
30 noviembre, 1 y 6—7 diciembre a 7 pm
1 & 8 diciembre 2 pm
$5 estudiantes & jubilados
Grupos de más de 10: ordenen en línea para descuento & asientos reservados
Entradas individuales disponible en la puerta para cada actuación
Edison H.S. Auditorio
Preguntas? Email: email@example.com
- Thursday, 11/29 - Mini-Conference Night Rescheduled
- Wednesday, 12/5, 8 am - Parent Coffee (Topic: SOS Screening for 7th grade parents)
- Thursday, 12/6 & Friday, 12/7, 7 pm - Winter Musical: Elf Jr.
- Saturday, 12/8, 2 pm - Winter Musical: Elf Jr.
- Monday, 12/10-Tuesday, 12/18 - Scholastic Book Fair (Evening sales will be available for parents on the 12/11, 12/13, & 12/18 music concert dates)
- Tuesday, 12/11, 6 pm - PTA Meeting (shortened due to Band concert)
- Tuesday, 12/11, 7 pm - Winter Band Concert
- Wednesday, 12/12, 5-9 pm - PTA Fundraiser Night, Flight Trampoline Park
- Thursday, 12/13 - Beginning Theater Field Trip
- Thursday, 12/13, 7 pm - Winter Chorus Concert
- Friday, 12/14 - Students Released Three Hours Early
- Tuesday, 12/18, 7 pm - Winter Orchestra Concert
- Wednesday, 12/19, 2:30-4:30 pm - SCA Winter Activity Day for Students
- Friday, 12/21, 7th Period - Annual Winter Assembly (Rising 6th Graders from feeder elementary schools invited)
- Monday, 12/24 - Friday, 1/4 - Winter Break - No School
- Thursday, 1/10, 6-7:30 pm - Reunión de padres hispanos (Tema: Pandillas)
- Thursday, 1/17, 5:30 pm - PTA Meeting (Rising 6th Grade Parents Invited)
- Thursday, 1/17, 6:30 pm - Curriculum Night for Parents (Information about choosing courses for students' schedules)
- Friday, 1/18 - Students Released Three Hours Early
- Monday, 1/21 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Holiday - No School
- Thursday, 1/24 - Last day of 2nd Quarter (No Early Release)
- Friday, 1/25 - Student Holiday / Teacher Workday
How to Stay In-Touch
Please stay in touch with us throughout the year by:
- keeping your contact information up-to-date throughout the year
- visiting the Holmes MS website
- signing up for News You Choose
- following us on Twitter
- monitoring your student's progress with SIS Parent Account
- join the Holmes MS PTA and attend meetings